typical girls

Do you know what used to be considered cool, before a curated lifestyle and a personal brand and filters and selfies and your entire self being defined by what you can buy and what you choose to buy? Before we started curating considered, eclectic mixes of tasteful minimal accessories and vintage mid-century modern pieces on Pinterest and wet playlists of music about nothing on Spotify?




Viv Albertine. That's who. Her book is great, and it makes me want to get drunk and really tell some teenagers about how it was in my day. How did we all become so bloody boring, and how did we all become so dishonest and feel we have to be so sanitized in the life we portray?



5 comments:

  1. Agreed completely. I'm so glad I lived my 20s out in a time when young people still got drunk on non-artisan drinks in dive bars. I just want to shake these teenaged curating minimalists and tell them to go live it up.

    I'll have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post and the pictures and am definitely going to get the book (from my local bookstore). Thanks so much for the recommendation. I've been wanting to read something just like this--at least just like what I hope this book is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post. your words were so affecting and so true !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeepers - am I going blind or is your font size crazily small???

    ReplyDelete