conscious





My sister recently turned me on to an amazing blog called Trash is for Tossers. Lauren is a very chic and dedicated New York environmental activist who, over the past year, has minimized her waste to almost nothing (seriously, her trash fits in a jar). It really gave me a wake up call and cemented a very clear goal: stop wasting, stop buying so much, be militant about recycling and get a compost bin (if it can be done in Brooklyn then I can do it in London). I feel so excited to make better choices - from what I eat to where I shop, from small things (using a Keep Cup and saying no thank you to a plastic bag or fork) and big things to (taking a train instead of flying, being considered about large purchases and as much as I can, buying antique or vintage or if that's not possible, the least impactful option).

Lauren is most certainly proof that a sustainable, zero waste lifestyle is neither boring nor 'crunchy'. She wears only second-hand clothing and makes her own skincare items and toothpaste, as well as taking her Mason jar everywhere (I love that she takes it on the plane and Eurostar).

At the very least it's inspired me to question so many things and make much more considered decisions.

I'll share a few discoveries later this week - some incredible sources for vintage clothing and some thoughts on skincare; some easy swaps you can make in the kitchen and cleaning department. Also, I totally bought a MoonCup.

3 comments:

  1. Natalie, thanks for the introduction to Lauren's blog. Going green definitely does come with a certain set of stereotypes so it's nice to see a lifestyle that is, as you say, "neither boring nor 'crunchy.'"

    One question that has been on my mind and that isn't necessarily directed at you relates to water usage. Reusable containers, utensils, and the like are better than disposable things in the sense that they reduce contributions to landfills. However, they must be consistently washed (presumably with hot water for sanitary purposes), requiring use of water and electricity and thus fossil fuels. At what point does it make more sense to throw away an item once rather than continually using water and electricity to reuse an item that might become unsanitary with use over time? Like I mentioned, this isn't a question I intend for you (or anyone else) to have a definitive answer to. I'm just thinking out loud here and may need to pose the same question on Lauren's blog to hear what she has to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right to question. In my mind the cost of making (or buying a second hand) one durable item (like a glass jar) and then using it over and over (I can't imagine glass or metal become unsanitary nor diminish over time or at least not quickly enough for it to be noticed over say ten years) so realistically (apart from breakages) they're not going to be used at anywhere near the frequency of plastic or paper or foam or whatever. I mean - I'd love to buy a metal lunchbox and have it for the rest of my life! Also I think using vessels that are made from glass, clay, wood, metal is maybe less impactful in creation than plastic which is made from petro chemicals and oil derivatives - hot soapy water pales in comparison!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this Natalie, what a great blog. I've been trying to incorporate waste-free decisions into everyday life this year too but this girl has also made me realise how much more I could do! Sustainable consumption / waste free living is so complex, but it is great to have resources like this and start the discussion. I will now be spending the rest of the morning reading her posts and then putting together my plan of attack to cut down on buying things with packaging etc. Looking forward to seeing your posts on vintage clothes / beauty resources etc.

    ReplyDelete